Here are the major ones from the recent updates I’ve made on OpenProcessing:
- Anyone can now create collections without invitation.
Go to http://www.openprocessing.org/collections/ to create a collection. The collections have the same template with classrooms, except that they show up under collections section of the website.
- Newly designed top navigation
Bigger, better, stronger! I will also update the OpenProcessing logo (well, it doesn’t even exist yet) soon, so it will have a decent memorable face.
- Many many small fixes
I put 40+ checks on my “to-fix” checklist.
- Donation page and SSL!
I have created the donation page. OpenProcessing now highly depends on your financial contributions since the cost of running the website exceeds my own budget. Not to mention, I implemented SSL certificate to have your logins and donations to the website through secure connection. To keep OpenProcessing up and running, please make your donation at:
Here is some more information why your donation is very important to the site:
- the current cost of hosting at MediaTemple is $150 monthly + $30 domain annually. I had to increase the server plan to $150 because the slower servers couldn’t handle the amount of mySQL queries. That’s why you saw many down time and slow server response in the last year.
- Cloud service from Rackspace is ~$30 monthly, and this is increasing around ~$3 every month with the new uploads on the site.
- SSL certificate costs $10 monthly (with $50 initiation fee). This secures your logins through secure connections, as well as your donations.
- Besides the cold cash part listed above, there are occasional spendings, like lawyers fees for legal consultancy (oh copyright issues…), accountant, etc.. And well, now that I am working on OpenProcessing full-time, I guess you can count my hours to develop, improve and and support the site. Last year, I was able to partially support the website via advertising from influads. With the decreasing amount of payments from the network, this month I had to take the advertising down and promote donation options instead.
I hope that with the new updates and donation option, we will be able continue providing great sketches, supporting classes, and adding value to the Processing community. Please support OpenProcessing: https://www.openprocessing.org/donate/.